26 April World Burlesque Day is brought to you by the World Burlesque Academy App. It is an international day and celebration of all things burlesque created by our founder - showgirl, author and mental health ambassador, Sapphira
This year we will present the free World Burlesque Day 2022 Online Programme Tuesday 26th April - stay tuned to this page and our social media for updates.
Want to be involved in World Burlesque Day 2022?
2. Look out for our TikTok Challenge coming in April - prizes will be given at random for entries
3. Join us on Instagram Live from the 18th of April - 1st of May, we will be live at 1pm BST each day
4. Join us on Instagram Live for the World Burlesque Day 2022 Online Programme (check our timetable page to see who we are interviewing.)
5. Register for World Burlesque Day to tell us what you are doing, we have a form on the top right of this website (see the red 'Register for World Burlesque Day' button)
6. Download the World Burlesque Academy App and enjoy the free Burlesque Taster module - plus in April we will be adding a free module about the TikTok Challenge
7. Buy our merchandise, wear the World Burlesque Day tshirt or tote bag. (We ship to most countries via our partner, Teemill.)
This year we have our own World Burlesque Day 2022 Anthem - Queen of the Scene - Sapphira & Doc Moody
Highlights of the previous World Burlesque Day activities include:
• An exclusive Q&A webinar with Erik Lee Preminger from LA discussing his mother, Burlesque icon Gypsy Rose Lee, sharing intimate tales from his life on the road with her as well as exclusive footage for our guests
• Participants in over 57 countries taking part in the day
• Sapphira consecrating the day covered in 100 balloons with Party & Celebrate who donated the balloons
• Interviews, performances and workshops streamed throughout the day
• #WorldBurlesqueDay hashtag being used over 26,000 times
• World Burlesque Day TikTok #boogieinbootschallenge viewed 200,000 times, set to the official World Burlesque Day Anthem, "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'" Sapphira & Doc Moody
• Scottish Labour Leader Anas Sarwar representing Scotland attending the free TikTok Dance class attracting 323k views on Twitter
• Major publishers supporting the day with giveaways of Gypsy’s memoir from North Atlantic Books, Badly Behaved Women by Anna-Maria Crowhurst from Welbeck, a selection of Laurence King Publishing's Drag titles
• Anti-bullying issues and solutions discussed in an exclusive interview with Dr Anne-Marie Quigg, author of Bullying in the Arts and editor of The Handbook of Dealing with Workplace Bullying
Owner of the event production company, Sapphira’s Showtime, who produce the annual Ibiza Burlesque Festival and World Record Events #BurlesqueAPeel, Sapphira is author of the mental health recovery story Burlesque or Bust. World Burlesque Day supports Sapphira's vision that ‘everybody should try burlesque for their self confidence at last once in a lifetime’ following her own profound self-acceptance since first setting foot on stage in 2004. The epiphany of escapism in this beautiful art-form came after she had been hospitalised with a one-time episode severe bipolar at age 21 and she credits burlesque as the tonic for finding herself again.